Yay! The Dutch Interior Design Month has begun. Every year, October traditionally begins with the interior design fair in Amsterdam. This vtwonen&design beurs, formerly called Woonbeurs, takes place at RAI Amsterdam Convention Centre.
I always enjoy running into the furniture enthusiasts of the Netherlands there. Also, I’m always curious to see how other brands answer the question “What’s new?” What trends have they picked up on and how have they translated these trends into products for the consumer?
"What are the brands presenting to furniture enthusiasts of the Netherlands?"
Since Zuiver was founded, it has participated in the interior design fair every year. Zuiver products lend themselves perfectly to trend spaces and press rooms. So when denim was hot our denim and blue furniture pieces were exhibited in the main hall and when gold was up and coming our gold Retro ’70 lamps adorned the press room. Zuiver copper is still to be found at the fair, as well as another material we can’t get enough of marble.
"Zuiver is no stranger to the stylists of the vtwonen&design fair”
Albert Kuip chair in vtwonen home – Huggable wallpaper in the Boutique Hotel by Karwei – Different tiles behind the bed in the vtwonen home
From today the fair is open for another 4 days (until Sunday 2 Oct, www.vtwonen.nl/wonen-design-beurs), so there’s plenty to do this weekend! Below I’ve compiled a few highlights that you can’t afford to miss. And in case you want to do other things besides the fair this weekend, I’ve also included a few insider tips for Amsterdam.
First of all there’s the vtwonen home. Without wishing to slight the other homes, the vtwonen home is the inspiration hub of the fair. It’s where you’ll find good and attainable combinations of affordable and more high-end furniture in characterful rooms, fun DIY ideas and inspirational styling. The vtwonen home is a lifestyle in itself and credit goes to Carlein and her styling team for putting together a home that just bursts with interior design inspiration!
Photos of the vtwonen home: DJ – Zuiver Broker desk lamp – interior design party
Other things not to miss at the fair:
- – In hall 10 – 017A you’ll find the Dutch brand Loof. Loof collaborates with young designers to design bed frames in different sizes made of different wood types. They use honest materials and their products have a natural finish. Attractive bed frames with a Scandinavian touch with matching mirror and bedside tables. www.loof.nl
– Furniture studio Jacco Bakker has stand number 007 in hall 10. Jacco is a furniture maker and with his team he has a workshop in Noord-Holland where all furniture pieces are made to measure. This time he’s exhibiting a bespoke kitchen with an integrated plant box. A superb way of having your fresh ingredients ready at hand when cooking, especially if you haven’t got a herb garden!
- – Design studio Muurbloem is presenting a complete product line for consumers: The Power of Beauty. At last we can all bring those stunning lamps and unique designs into our homes! A particular highlight are the “Wall textiles”: generously sized fabric wall coverings (148×280 cm) available in different designs that come ready to apply to the wall. Who wouldn’t want those cheerful flowers brightening up their wall?
- – Wind up hall 10 with a tasty bite in the restaurant, situated before the Eigenhuis & Interieur home. You’re also in with a chance of winning a Zuiver Albert Kuip chair of your choice here.
- – Hall 12 is vtwonen paradise, with nearly every stand showcasing part of its collection, from wall tiles to kitchens, from crockery to the well-known staircase. A great place to find inspiration if you’re remodelling your home or moving house.
- – In Hall 12 stand 006 you’ll find colour inspiration by paint brand Flexa with 3 bloggers in small but very nice style rooms. They also present their colour for the year 2017 here: Denim Drift. According to Flexa, it’s a timeless colour that adapts itself to the space where it’s used. Why not try out this gorgeous multifaceted shade of blue yourself: you can collect a tester at the stand!
- – Karwei presents its ‘Boutique Hotel’ style in a super stylish space that has been transformed into a kind of Art Deco hotel. The rooms were given warm colour tones such as ‘peacock’ green and ‘night’ blue and styled with golden accessories and geometric wallpaper. Hall 12 – 042.
- – Hall 12 stand 041 is where you’ll find the inspirational interior design store Eijerkamp. The style rooms shown on the Sunday evening TV programme “Weer verliefd op je huis” (“in love with your home again”) have been recreated here and offer design ideas on how to lay out your own room. And the good part is that you can order any products you want right there and then!
- – In hall 11 the interior by Stijlvol Wonen is highly recommended for those who like country living. And while you’re here, pop into the home theatre to see if anyone is giving an interesting lecture, e.g. interior stylist Marie-Gon.
Herb garden by Jacco Bakker – Bed frame by Loof, made from honest materials
The Power of Beauty – Albert Kuip chairs at Eijerkamp
“Win an Albert Kuip chair at the vtwonen&design fair”
Our latest pride and joy – the Albert Kuip chair – is proving a hit and it’s not only our campaign with Costes Fashion that shows it. The chair is also really successful in our stores, and to celebrate we’re giving away a Zuiver Albert Kuip chair to a happy Instagrammer each day of the fair!
Want to be in with a chance? Visit the stand of online interior store Flinders (Hall 12, stand 039), try out the chair and take a great photo. Then post it on Instagram using hashtag #albertkuip and #flinders and @zuiver_ (note the underscore!). If you’re the winner we’ll contact you and let you choose a model and colour. Another reason to go to Amsterdam this weekend…
Take a selfie with the Albert Kuip chair and who knows you might be the lucky winner of an Albert Kuip of your choice!
I like the idea of combining the fair with something in the city. Start your day with breakfast at CT Coffee & Coconuts (Ceintuurbaan 282), a large and trendy cafe located in an old 1920’s theatre with an amazing interior. With long tables to sit at, CT Coffee & Coconuts seems to encourage interaction between customers! I had an Acai bowl with Palm Berry yoghurt, raw Buckini (buckwheat, popular as an alternative for muesli), blueberries, banana and dried coconut. At € 7.80 a bowl it’s not cheap, but extremely delicious and healthy, and along with a cappuccino XL it’ll set you up for a day at the fair.
“Buy a bag of Buckini, so you can also enjoy this healthy mix of nuts, dried fruit, seeds and Buckini at home”
A 10 minute walk from CT Coffee & Coconuts takes you to the new FEST Amsterdam store. This Dutch interior brand offers a well-balanced collection of furniture and home accessories in fresh, light colours and stands out for its attractive made to measure sofas. Zuiver and FEST Amsterdam are often seen together on Instagram and in the magazines. A happy match?.
Zuiver’s Sarona cushion and the beautiful sofa by FEST Amsterdam are a perfect match
If you’d rather go to the vtwonen&design fair first and have a bite to eat afterwards, The Roast Room, next to RAI, is a great choice. It’s worth popping in for a drink just to see the interior of the two floors, but the food is scrumptious as well! P.S. On Friday night they turn up the music, party time!
Have fun and I’d love to know what you thought of the vtwonen&design fair.